Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fat Tuesday Recap

My dad grew up in New Orleans, LA, so we celebrated Fat Tuesday since before I can remember.

I even have a Mardi Gras bead collection thanks to my paternal grandmother.  

My dad (I think?) hand-made a King Cake every Fat Tuesday of my childhood, and one of my parents took an obligatory photo of my sister and me with the cake. 

I was hoping to include a photo in this post, but those photos must all be in slide format in my parents' collection.

More than 5 years ago I stopped eating wheat to see if the dietary change would help my stomach/digestive issues. I promise not to go into any more detail! It has made a huge difference.

Two years ago I made my first King Cake - gluten free. It ended up being delicious, but the dough was really difficult to shape. 

This year I decided to use a different recipe but with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour. I had to add more flour because the dough way too sticky. With the extra flour, (I wish I had the exact amount - I just added until I could shape it into a ball without it sticking to me) it ended up being the best gluten free dough that I've made and was easy to roll and shape. 

King Cake!




The final result?

Delicious. 

Scrumptious.

Definitely worthy of a Fat Tuesday.

(The kiddos happened to be wearing purple which was perfect!)

No comments :

Post a Comment