Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Working (outside of the home) Mama

I'm a bit anxious.
(Ok. Bit is an understatement.) 

Depending on the moment, I'm excited about starting my new job next week, and the next moment my head is reeling through all of the lists of "What I Must Do Before Monday!!!!" (and other general worries)...

I need to get all of the laundry done &
buy more business casual clothes 
what about rain coats for all of us?
and winter coats, too, because it will be winter soon
we need to think about getting boots for the kiddos
I have to get more cat food today
if I don't get my hair cut this week, when will my next chance be? I better find a new hairdresser asap.
I really should write those thank you notes to people who donated to the Walk to Cure Arthritis back in May (yes, these are the things that go through my mind at moments of stress...)
do the kiddos have enough clothes & backup clothes & backups to their backup clothes?
label all the kiddos clothing
decide on a daycare/preschool!!
and what about Halloween costumes?
get my MN driver's license
I never bought/sent that present that I meant to send last month!
I'm going to have to start making my lunch...
Shoes. I need business casual yet okay in the rain shoes. Yikes. Why didn't I remember to pull my shoes out of the drawers in the dining room side table (where I cleverly packed them in the moving truck) before we put it in storage?

Stop. Spinning.

Breathe.

Then I attempt to pull my mind back into the Here and Now. One moment at a time. Be gentle with yourself (my new mantra thanks to this comment. It's already been life-changing.)

On Monday, I start my new job.

First, I want to say that I’m very thankful to have been offered this job. It’s for a great company, & I’ll have more consistency with my schedule. Instead of having to work every-other weekend (or every Saturday, like I did) I will only work one weekend a month. I won’t be gone from 6:30 in the morning until 8 pm (on a good night) when I work. Instead, I’m going to have more of a “normal” schedule.

During the first two months, I’ll be in training Monday – Friday. I love learning, so I’m thrilled about learning new skills/responsibilities. I also love that I’m taking my nursing career in a new direction. Plus, having two months dedicated to learning a new job is awesome.

When I just focus on that, I'm good.

But...

The last time I worked a 5 days a week job? It was 2007. I was single. My main responsibility (besides work) was being a cat mama. I commuted to work by walking (or bike-riding). It was a whole 1.25 mile commute.

Since being married, I've either worked part-time or worked 3-12 hour shifts a week. Karl & I haven't balanced both of us working 5 days a week. 

(I know that these are good "problems" to have; we are both gainfully employed, and that is a blessing).

While I commuted to work for my last job, it was a 20-25 minute commute & not during rush hour. I could take back roads & avoid the freeway. (I have commuted longer distances before – from Tacoma to Seattle – which was always at least 45 minutes. It’s just been over 14 years ago). This commute is still reasonable, but rush hour traffic is a new one for me. Karl has it even worse. He’s worked within 15 minutes (or less) from his work for the last 14 years. Now, he has up to an hour commute to work (45 minutes on a good day).

With this new position, Miss S & Mr. C will be in childcare for 4 days a week instead of 2. (Just typing that breaks my mama heart.) I like childcare because I feel like it’s great for socialization, but 2 days a week always seemed perfect.

Sigh.

At least the voice in my head is being really nice to me today telling me that it’s going to be ok. It will have its bumpy & stressful moments, but just take it one day at a time. We’ll all get through & be stronger because of it.

Once I'm finished with my training, I'll work 4 days a week. That one day difference seems so much more manageable. 

My saving graces (besides frequent prayers & breathing) are that I’m living with extended family until we find a house. Extended family that enjoys making delicious dinners & knows what it once was like to have little ones & two working parents.

Huge. Blessing.

Hopefully I’ll be able to write at least short updates (because I really love writing these posts), but I’m working on being realistic & shortening my worry-list. (Ha.) If any of you working parents have any suggestions for us, please share! We’d love any helpful feedback or ideas for simplifying life. As always, thank you for reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment