Saturday, January 18, 2014

Happy Birthday to You, My Love (A Do-Over)

Last night (about 24 hours ago, exactly; the night before Karl's birthday) I stayed up putting together a birthday post. I scheduled it to post at 9 am. That way, even though I had to work, my birthday message would arrive on Facebook for him. It kinda worked. 

See?

My sister even read it. It existed for some period of time. By the time Karl clicked on the link, it had disappeared. Instead of reading the post, he saw this message.

Sigh.

So, here's a birthday do-over. 

At least it's still his birthday, Miss S (who went to bed late last night, was up half-asleep running around the house at 5:30 this morning, and refused to nap) is tucked into bed, a nice bottle of wine has been poured, and I think I captured most of what I wrote the first time around...


Dear Karl,

Even starting this post makes me almost a little teary.

It's hard to believe that for 28 years of my life I didn't know if you were really out there. If I'd ever meet you. After I reached the age of 26 and was single (so old...), I wondered if it just wasn't meant to be for me.

It only took a move from Seattle to Phoenix, two eharmony accounts, a phone call with a horrible signal, a Sunday afternoon at Starbucks, and the rest is history.

I am so thankful to have spent your last 7 birthdays with you, and I'm looking forward to celebrating at least another 60 with you ;-) You are a wonderful husband and an incredible father. I am so blessed to have you as my partner in life.

I love you. To infinity. And beyond.

First Birthday Celebrated as Mr. and Mrs. (photo bomb by Jupiter)

No comments :

Post a Comment