Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mama, You Aren't Alone

It won't be like this forever. It won't be like this forever. It won't be like this forever.
I have those days where I feel like a pretty big failure of a mama, for one reason or another. It is so easy to get lost in that sea of negative thoughts. I've had my moments where I knew that I was the one who needed the time out. With one kiddo, I could give myself a time out (close the door on my bedroom for a good 10 second count...) while Miss S was safely screaming in a crib or a pack 'n play.

With two kiddos, it can be more challenging. Usually when Miss S is fully embracing a terrible-two moment (which I've now heard can stretch into the 3s and 4s...), Mr. C is napping. At least until he wakes up because of the temper tantrum being thrown by his big sister...

I usually remember to breathe, pray, remind myself that other parents out there have these same days, and comfort myself by saying, "It won't be like this forever. It won't be like this forever. It won't be like this forever..."

::think Dorothy 5 years post-tornado holding a crying baby while her toddler is screaming, and she's still wearing her ruby red slippers which now have worn out heels from so much clicking::

Other days, I lose my perspective and can't see beyond my own thoughts.

Every once in awhile (my circle of mama-friends isn't that big), a friend reminds me that she knows what I'm going through all too well.

I was texting and playing phone tag with a friend who had been house-bound with a sick kiddo for going on the 5th day. Her kiddo was now well enough to be back to tantrums, sass, and screaming, but not well enough to leave the house.

I happened to call my friend in the midst of it all. I couldn't tell at first if she was laughing or crying, but I was able to make out "crying" in between the tears. I hadn't showered but at least had clothes on other than pajamas. I told her to hold on; I'd be there as soon as I could. I offered to say a quick prayer with her over the phone, threw my hair into a tiny ponytail, grabbed some gum, had Miss S put on some pants and shoes, strapped Mr. C in his car seat, and we were off.

If you've stumbled across this post, and you are in the thick of it...

Mama, you aren't alone.

You are doing the best job that you can.

Other mamas (and daddies) have these same kind of days.

Your plate is over-full with so many responsibilities, and I understand why you are in tears.

I'd love to bring over some coffee, tea, and/or wine. I'll bring some tissues, too (unless I've run out...which is a great possibility).

It doesn't matter if you haven't cleaned in awhile. My house has its fair share of piles.

I'm so glad that I called exactly when I did.

I'm here for you, and I'd love to give you a big hug to remind you that you aren't alone.

No comments :

Post a Comment