Sunday, December 15, 2013

Melancholy and Mental Piles

I read through my last post and that day was a great day for me.

Days like today, the piles I'm between are the piles of my mind. I've learned that sleep (in the range of 8 hours or more) is essential to my being able to be in a positive mindset.

I remember back to being in junior high or high school and having a stay over at a friend's house. My parents would always give me a hard time the next day because I would be so. cranky. They always said, "Next time you won't be able to go for a sleep over if you keep up this attitude!" or something parental like that.

Yes, mom and dad, I understand why you said that. I can remember how cranky I could be but didn't want to admit that it was because of lack of sleep. Not that I was fooling anyone.

On Friday and Saturday, I worked two 12-hour shifts in a row and went to bed later than ideal. Oh that makes for a cranky day today.

I work to push away the piles of negative talk in my head (which is harder when lacking sleep). My saving graces on days like today include my daughter's peanut butter and jelly face, hearing my daughter’s imagination at work while she plays with Duplos, hearing my son’s sighs and babbles, naps, walks, prayer (which I often forget when I need to remember it the most), and lately Isaiah 40.

The verses that have been especially helpful lately are Isaiah 40:12, 40:26, and 40:29-31. When I read these words, I take a deeper breath and have a shift in perspective, even if only for a few minutes.

Isaiah 40:12
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
    or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
    or weighed the mountains on the scales
    and the hills in a balance?

And 40:26
Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
    Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
    and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
    not one of them is missing.

And 29 through 31
Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.


Hopefully these verses will help someone else to clear the mental clutter, shift perspectives, and take a deep breath. Even if only for a few minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment