Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The R Word & One of My Soap Boxes

I just watched a video about a dad's story of his daughter with Down Syndrome and have tears streaming down my face. A little background on this story...

A word that I really dislike and that people use casually is Retarded.

I've heard people who are over-the-top PC use it.
People who
never would speak derogatorily about another race
abhor anti-homophobic putdowns
despise the use a negative phrase to make light of a mental illness
don't utter a curse word
describe themselves as open-minded
believe that everyone should be treated equally.

I actually squirm a little when I heard someone use it so casually. It makes my skin crawl.

I can't say that I've never used the word. One time in particular (back when you called to buy a plane ticket) I said it, and the airline employee hung up on me. I'm glad she did.

Some people might argue that it's a diagnosis, but the word isn't used that way. Instead, people use it casually to refer to something they would describe as annoying or ridiculous or frustrating or stupid.

Please don't.

I'm stepping off of my soapbox now, it's just something that I've thought about a lot but haven't voiced (this post is my attempt to move in that direction).

This video is powerful. Have your tissues handy. Wow. Please think of Paisley if you are attempting to break the habit of the R-word. All children and everyone like her deserve to be respected.

Thank you.

No comments :

Post a Comment